Monday, November 9, 2009

Who Knows What They Will Remember!!

I just returned from Houston where I accompanied my oldest granddaughter to a dance scholarship convention. I was gone 3 days and returned Monday not knowing what to suspect. Sometimes when I am gone, she is very distant and sometimes a bit angry that I have been gone. Tonight she looked at me and said do you remember when we picked the lilacs this spring?" I said of course. Mom then said "well I think it is okay to pick the lilacs, but I think it was illegal to pick the apple blossoms". Needless to say I was pretty speechless. I then asked what made her think of that. She said "your perfume".

I puzzled over the remarkable memories then realized a few days before I left, we had reduced her Alzheimer's med patch dosage. She has lost some weight but is now stabilized but, this meant she probably was on a higher dose than was therapeutic. In other words she probably was being overdosed and the reduced amount may be more appropriate for her. I am a big believer in the Alzheimer Medications and have had Mom on one of these med since she went into Assisted Living and I believe it has been a big advantage for her. The next Blog will discuss the various issues associated with these med, but for tonight I am just very thankful for the med and the quality of life they have given both mom and me!

May God keep you in the palm of her hand

No comments:

Post a Comment