Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Silver Lining

One of the joys in having a Mom with Alzheimer's is the loss of inhibitions. I was raised in an era of "spare the rod and spoil the child'. Affection was not given out easily. My Mom, likewise, was raised by very strict German/Bohemian parents. Telling someone, even a child, you loved them, was reserved for very special occasions such a birthdays, weddings, graduations. Now Mom is likely to tell me "I love you" 3 or 4 times in an evening. I never get tired of hearing it, however!! So I guess mom was right, there is a silver lining in everything if you continue to look for it-even this tough disease. May God bless you and keep you in the palm of Her hand.

1 comment:

  1. Touching a nerve here. My folks were of the depression years, affection not shown but always implied. I love you never heard or spoken by any of us. Years later for mom, she became very affectionate and saying she loved people. Was hard for me to enter into that realm of 'giving', but I do the best I can. My siblings and I were all the same, not openly affectionate or verbal about our love to our kids...painful reprecussions from our parents. Most all of our children have done well, and are affectionate to some degree, more then I really was. And mom, she can't really hug anymore, except when being transferred, but she has a tender touch when she reaches up to pat a cheek....it is an I love you touch.

    ReplyDelete